The John L. and Karen C. Pye Memorial Scholarship for a Canadian Student
INTERNS CAN CHOOSE FROM THE FOLLOWING PROGRAMME OPTIONS:
ANIMAL HUSBANDRY - AQUARIUM
Our Aquarium has over 200 species of colorful fishes and invertebrates in numerous naturalistic displays.
- Interns will learn all aspects of the daily care of exotic animals and plants including animal handling and treatment.
- Interns will participate in behavioral observations and our animal enrichment program.
- Interns will assist with diet preparation and feeding including food culture methods.
- Interns will maintain daily records including animal activities, food consumption, and special projects.
- Interns will assist with life support maintenance and water quality monitoring.
- Interns will assist with exhibit enhancement, which may include the collection of marine specimens, horticulture and or fabrication of exhibit furnishings.
- Interns will participate in providing Interpretative talks to visitors and special interest groups.
ANIMAL CARE AND QUARANTINE
The Animal Care and Quarantine Department (ACAQ) is responsible for both Marine specimens and Zoo quarantine, wildlife rehabilitation and the preventative health care of our zoo and aquarium collection.
- Interns will learn all aspects of the daily care of exotic animals and including animal handling and preventative health care
- Interns will learn basic quarantine procedures and policies
- Interns will conduct behavioral observations
- Interns will learn diet preparation and feeding techniques for animals in critical care
- Interns will maintain daily records including animal activities
- Interns will assist with veterinary care that may include treatments, x-rays or other diagnostics
- Interns may have the opportunity to assist our Marine Collector with specimen acquisitions
Under the umbrella of BZS Conservation Research projects are conducted in conjunction with other organizations. Our conservation and research programmes focus on Bermuda and are funded primarily by the Bermuda Government, U.K and U.S. Governments and private donations. Being SCUBA certified is mandatory
See our Conservation Projects for more detail on each of these programs.
- Interns will gather and analyze biological information necessary for the sustainable use of Bermuda's living resources.
- Interns will assist in field-based studies including sampling and monitoring, animal capture and marking
- Interns will assist with laboratory or database work.